There was a wide range of responses The Squall received from a survey on cilantro that was passed out to DHS students. Of 100 students, 61 percent of students said that they liked the taste of cilantro, while the other 39 percent said that they didn’t like cilantro.
A youth group that is open to all high school students and introduces them to the Christian faith
By Jillian Chesney
Everyone loves a good donut on a Friday morning. Luckily, the leaders of Dexter Young Life hand out free donuts to make Friday morning’s a little better.
The mission of Young Life is to “introduce adolescents to God and help them grow in their faith,” according to Young Life’s website. They do this through their club, campaigners, camp, and by building relationships.
With high expectations for many teams, the Dreadnaughts
have sights set on various titles
By Jacoby Haley & Jillian Chesney
The 2017-18 winter sports season is going to be something to watch for Dexter, with young star athletes in the sports, talented coaching staff looking to make improvements, and a men’s swim program poised to make a consecutive state title run. All in all, the Dreads are something to be excited about in the coming months.
Following last year when they ended their season early by losing in the first rounds of playoffs. This was disappointing for the boys, but this motivates them to move even further this year. Starting off this season 6-2, with their only losses were against Skyline and Chelsea, the Dreads are looking more solid now than ever. Their success starts with their freshman goalie, Kris Eberly. Eberly is strong and able to bring a new level of confidence to the team because of his previous experience on high-level teams. Continue reading “Winter Sports Briefs”
A look into the lives, motivations, and future plans of three star athletes
By Jillian Chesney
Eva Gaetino is a freshman at DHS. She plays soccer for the Michigan Hawks. Gaetino loves soccer because it’s her outlet from all the craziness going on in her life. She feels that her teammates are the “best people ever.” Her motivation comes from the goal of playing on the full national team (USWNT). This goal pushes her to play and work harder each day. Her coach and teammates also motivate her by continuing to push her and holding her accountable in regards to soccer. Gaetino was trained by Damion Cook, a former lineman for the Detroit Lions.
The difference between school and club sports is unfair
By JIllian Chesney
Here at Dexter High School, there are many sports that are not recognized by the school, and subsequently are categorized as club sports. Field hockey, lacrosse, freshmen baseball, water polo, and equestrian are the club sports at DHS. These sports are only given a varstiy letter if they meet the set requirements. Continue reading “Club Sport Struggles”
A classic, Ann Arbor, hoagie shop is a must-visit eatery
By Jillian Chesney & Jacoby Haley
Izzy’s Hoagie Shop is in a strip mall located on West Stadium Blvd in Ann Arbor, Mich. This strip mall is not very appealing to the eye, but this should not steer you away from visiting this hoagie shop. Continue reading “The Hidden Gem Reviews”
Dexter Field Hockey’s Team 8 is on the Road to States
By Jillian Chesney
Dexter’s 2017 field hockey team is one like no other.
This team is coached by Trish Mackemer, and is assisted by Keely Tamer, Maggie Olson, and Amy Binder. All of the coaches played in college and have great experience to share. The team is the smallest it’s ever been and is made up of mostly underclassman. In total, there are only 30 players, meaning the Dreads have just enough players to make two teams along with some subs.
Dexter field hockey refers to their team in numbers; this year is Team 8.
A look at a few athletes trying to bounce back from injury for the coming school year
By Jillian Chesney and Mitchell Sterlitz
Stephen Sterlitz: As one of the three captains of the boys water polo team, senior Stephen Sterlitz is “very optimistic about our team this year and I’m excited to be able to play with a great group of guys for my final year as a Dreadnaught.” Sterlitz is a diehard water polo player and has a true passion for the sport, a trait that helped the team finish fifth in the state last season. Continue reading “Athletes in the Crowd”
Kendrick Lamar’s “The DAMN. Tour” opened with D.R.A.M and Travis Scott. D.R.A.M. is an artist whose acronym stands for “Does. Real. Ass. Music” and he sang many of his top hits followed by his biggest hit: “Broccoli.” He is a hip-hop nonconformist with a love of soul and has a bass as the backbone to his music. Travis Scott performed most of his concert on a black bird hanging from the ceiling. There was a spotlight attached to the bottom of the bird that shined on various areas of the crowd. The bird symbolized his album Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight.